Schumer's bill aims to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

2013-12-27T14:18:00Z Schumer's bill aims to prevent carbon monoxide poisoningRobert Harding | robert.harding@lee.net Auburn Citizen
December 27, 2013 2:18 pm  • 

U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer is setting his sights on ways to educate the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Schumer, D-N.Y., has introduced legislation with U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., that would authorize the Consumer Product Safety Commission to establish new guidelines and provide support for educating the public about carbon monoxide.

The bill would also encourage the installation of carbon monoxide detectors, according to Schumer.

Schumer's legislation would build on Amanda's Law, a New York law requiring all homes to have at least one carbon monoxide detector. The law is named for Amanda Hansen, a 16-year old from the Buffalo area who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2009.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning is an indiscriminant and stealthy killer, so we cannot remain silent about the danger it poses, especially when winter rolls in and oil and gas heaters are more heavily in use," Schumer said. "That’s why our legislation steps up federal support for both public education and carbon monoxide detection, which will give American families the tools they need to detect carbon monoxide risk before it can cause harm.

"Amanda Hansen’s family and friends have worked hard to pass a similar law here in New York State, and I am proud to now help them continue that effort at the federal level."

Ken Hansen, Amanda's father, said they support Schumer's effort and praised him for his work on the issue.

"We have worked hard to pass important legislation at the state level and now, with Senator Schumer's help, we are hopeful that families across the country will become more aware of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide poisoning," Hansen said.

The Centers for Disease Control said more than 400 people die and 20,000 visit the emergency room every year due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The highest number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases occur during December, January and February.

Copyright 2015 Auburn Citizen. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(1) Comments

  1. WashJeff
    Report Abuse
    WashJeff - December 28, 2013 3:03 am
    About time Sen Schumer, did not come up with the " old stuff, just repackaged"
    Given the insidious nature and the devastating effects of carbon monoxide, it is a goal well worth pursuing.
    Also, I was advised by my boiler tech. I had a leak in my furnace. I had a brand new detector. any unit more than 2 years old? is useless.
    My detector cost me $70, in upstairs, yet appears, I needed one in my basement too. Education is important, wife does laundry in basement, would not have realized the leak. Maybe, require boiler manufactures to pre-installed in units, needle gages, for concentrations.
    Finally, Schumer.
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick