- The Cayuga County Habitat for Humanity is looking for new board members and volunteers. For more information, visit cayugahabitat.weebly.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers are sought to help with the annual Back to School/Stay in School Supply Giveaway beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, at the Booker T. Washington Community Center, 23 Chapman Ave., Auburn. Tasks include table setup, supply transportation, food preparation and distribution, and more. For more information, email email@example.com.
- The Finger Lakes SPCA of CNY is looking for an individual to fill the volunteer position of outreach event coordinator, who ensures there is adequate volunteer coverage for each event the SPCA participates in, supplies printed materials for those events, and more. Volunteer dog walkers and socializers are also needed. For more information, call 253-5841.
- The Friends of Hospice Thrift Shop seeks volunteers to staff it. Duties include sorting, pricing, displaying and selling clothing and merchandise. The shop is open from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays. For more information, call (315) 255-2733 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The SCAT Van service is looking for volunteers to drive and escort on the van. Training will be provided. For more information, call (315) 253-3548.
- The New York State Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is seeking volunteers to visit nursing homes, assisted living residences and adult homes. Program participants advocate for the rights and needs of adult residents of these facilities. Volunteers must attend 36 hours of training at Auburn Community Hospital. For more information, contact Options for Independence at (315) 255-3447 ext. 320.
- Westminster Manor Senior Home, 81 South St., Auburn, seeks people to volunteer their time for activities like bingo, crafts, dominoes and cards, as well as to assist with special events, parties and outings. For more information, call Darcy at (315) 252-0507.
- The Cayuga County Senior Nutrition Program is looking for drivers to deliver afternoon meals to seniors in rural Cayuga County. Volunteers would need a vehicle, and will be reimbursed for gas. For more information, call (315) 253-1427.
- Literacy Volunteers of Cayuga County is seeking volunteers to be trained as basic literacy and English as a second language tutors. Participants do not need any teaching experience or fluency in another language. There is an 18-hour tutor training workshop, and an annual commitment of 60 to 75 hours. Participants are asked to meet with their student for at least two hours a week. For more information, call (315) 253-5241.
- The Cayuga/Seneca Community Action Agency seeks volunteers to help with data entry, customer intake, answering telephones and greeting customers. Volunteers are also sought to help with the agency's food pantry, free clothing program, Head Start classrooms and the Domestic Violence Services Program at its Cayuga and Seneca county offices. For more information, call (315) 255-1703 ext. 129.
- The Community Soup Kitchen at First Love Ministries seeks volunteers to help prepare and serve food, as well as clean up, for at least one day a week. For more information, call (315) 252-1984.
- Mercy Health and Rehabilitation Center is seeking volunteers to pick up residents from their rooms and transport them to: occupational therapy from 8:30 a.m. to noon or 1 to 3 p.m.; physical therapy from 9 a.m. to noon or 1 to 4 p.m.; and beauty shop appointments beginning at 9 a.m. Mondays through Fridays. The center also seeks friendly visitors to work with residents at any time during the week, as well as volunteers to assist with recreational activities. For more information, call (315) 253-0351 ext. 303.
- SAVAR (Sexual Assault Victims Advocate Resource) seeks people to become certified rape crisis counselors, who would help victims of sexual abuse. Training is free. For more information, call (315) 253-9795 ext. 302.
- Chapel House Homeless Shelter seeks volunteers to fill four-hour afternoon or evening shifts on a weekly or monthly basis. Volunteers would answer the phone, take in residents and assist residents with basic needs. Training will be provided. For more information, call (315) 255-2060.
- Northbrook Heights, an assisted living community, seeks volunteers to help with activities and to visit one-on-one with, teach a craft to, read to or spend time entertaining residents. For more information, call (315) 253-2755.
- Catholic Charities of the Finger Lakes is looking for volunteers to assist staff with answering phones, making copies, filing, cleaning and snow shoveling. Volunteers can work when they're able. For more information, call Mandy O'Donovan at (315) 253-2222 ext. 101.
Volunteer opportunities in the Cayuga County area: Aug. 17, 2013
— From staff reports
Copyright 2015 Auburn Citizen. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.