APD investigates reported weapon at Herman Ave. Elementary

2012-01-25T15:19:00Z 2012-01-25T16:18:30Z APD investigates reported weapon at Herman Ave. ElementaryThe Citizen staff report Auburn Citizen
January 25, 2012 3:19 pm  •

Auburn police are investigating reports that a student brought a weapon into Herman Avenue Elementary School Monday.

Sgt. Greg Dann said an investigation is ongoing and that he could not release many details about the report, but said the weapon was not a firearm.

A time frame for completion could not be released as police are waiting to hear back from parents of any involved children, Dann said.

Superintendent J.D. Pabis and Principal Cynthia Lattimore were not immediately available for comment.

Copyright 2015 Auburn Citizen. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(15) Comments

1. Redheart
    Redheart - January 30, 2012 10:05 am
    How do you know it was a toy gun no one else saw it beside the principal & the teacher. If it was just a toy why didn't she keep it to show the parents of the kids who where threatened? Mysteriously disappeared from the trash! Cover Up!
  2. movedsouth
    movedsouth - January 29, 2012 2:51 pm
    ninyo said: "Auburn Schools have a way of making situations go away, FACT -Teacher (BILL)at the high school at the time,put MOLTEN SOLDER on a young mans hand for punishment FACT-BILL has a nice retirement."

IF that was MY child, I'd have a nice retirement too!!
  3. ninyo
    ninyo - January 29, 2012 11:19 am
  4. auburnzfinest
    auburnzfinest - January 28, 2012 8:23 am
    Mr13021 you must be one of the parents in the loop or get special mailings or notifications but there were nothing sent home with either of my children nor with nephews or cousins children about the bedbug issues. Confidentiality of the childs name should be kept from going public but not the situation at hand. We pay a pretty penny for our childrens education here and pretty much pay their salaries so we as taxpayers should be notified of ALL situations regardless of the severity so we as parents can properly address the situation of our childrens safety and health issues to take the necessary precautions. It only takes one wrong assessment of a situation to ruin a school's reputation. The education our children are receiving are not in question but the adminstration's lack of communication and responsibility to the people who she is ultimately accountable to(the taxpayers and parents). I have had other children attend Herman Ave and the education in my opinion has been excellent.
  5. Mr13021
    Mr13021 - January 27, 2012 10:47 pm
    Hello People.. IT WAS A TOY GUN!!! NOT A WEAPON!!!! Find something else to complain about.. Um yeah.. You were notied about bed bugs and safety precautions were implemeted because it was a SAFETY CONCERN!! A TOY PLASTIC GUN IS NOT A SAFETY CONCERN!! The child and the parents info should remain confidential.. Boy.. You people cant be serious!! The administration has done NOTHING wrong at all.. Why dont you all take the time to realize the great education that our kids are receiving there. If you dont like it! MOVE!!!!!
  6. Auburn Oldman
    Auburn Oldman - January 27, 2012 3:29 pm
    Ok everyone, take a deep breath. While it is totally conceivable that there is a need for all this and it's as serious as you all think, I can't help but consider quite a different situation. What if a child swiped a pocket knife from a parent and brought it in to show his friend? There is no intent to harm anyone and it could very well happen. Matter of fact, i can remember doing this exact thing when I was in grade school. Should I be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law cuse no 1? At age 7 showing my buddy my dads pocket knife? I don't think so. Lets wait til all the facts are known before jumping to conclusions and calling for consequences. While I agree that weapons and school don't mix and that anyone bringing a weapon into school needs to be spoken to, I also don't think a blanket punishment fits. It has to be a case by case basis. We have to be careful about starting up a witch hunt before knowing all the facts people!
  7. octoberic
    octoberic - January 27, 2012 11:44 am
    Oh, and to you, Quest.
    Look at American History. Kids that age are in places like the former Gossett Center for violent crimes. Age don't matter. Kids that age have killed. Wake the heck up. I know the facts. I'm a parent there and know how often serious situations are NEVER dealt with. Shut up already!!!!
  8. Farmer's Gal
    Farmer's Gal - January 27, 2012 10:24 am
    Have to agree with the parents upset over the lack of notification. That is just not right.
  9. loving life
    loving life - January 26, 2012 8:09 pm
    My children go to Herman, and we aren't informed of anything. When there were bed bugs, we were told it was "not a concern and it's confidential." But they kept anything from home in plastic bags in the hall ways..hmmm. That was from both the principal and superintendent. I think something needs to be done with the administration and policy. I deserve to know that a weapon was brought into my child's school, no matter how minor the weapon may be. We have the right to be informed, not have to read about it in the paper. When bullets were found in a locker at the high school, we got a phone call from the principal that same evening. That's the way it should be.
  10. farlove7
    farlove7 - January 26, 2012 11:53 am
    This is the POINT PARENTS GOT NO NOTIFICATION ON THIS!! I found out on freakn facebook! I called the school and asked why a letter was not sent out! And the person I spoke to said its nothing to worry about and its still under incvestigation! Well I am sorry I just moved my son to this school two months ago and I am not likeing how they are handling this situation at ALL! At my sons old school a little boy brought in a shot gun shell for show and tell and a letter was sent out to parents. What is wrong with the people at this school. I should not have to find out about this kind of infomation on a social networking site!! DO YOUR JOBS!!
  11. cuse no 1
    cuse no 1 - January 25, 2012 9:55 pm
    According to the National School and Safety Security Services: between 1999 and 2010 there were 284 violent deaths in public schools in the United States. They include 130 shootings and 41 stabbings. Weapons in school are dangerous to everyone.I hope the student who brought this weapon in to this school is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. And if the principal of the school really did try to cover this up, a simple reprimand would not be appropriate. An example needs to be set for both.
  12. auburntime
    auburntime - January 25, 2012 7:48 pm
    "chewy31 said on: January 25, 2012, 6:27 pm
    The principal, who attempted to sweep this incident under the rug, should be reprimanded. "

This is not acceptable from an administrator...how can we trust her going forward?

13. quest
    quest - January 25, 2012 7:16 pm
    THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG W/ SOCIETY!

PEOPLE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS!!

This could be a very innocent situation, yet the newspapers will print anything to get the public naysayers all riled up.

Please people these are kids between the ages of 5 and 13. Get a grip before you have all the details.
  14. chewy31
    chewy31 - January 25, 2012 6:27 pm
    The principal, who attempted to sweep this incident under the rug, should be reprimanded. What happened to the old days when children were actually held accountable for their actions? If the problem isn't dealt with accordingly, the school district will continue to spoon feed the child and then society will ultimately pay the price.
  15. coach53
    coach53 - January 25, 2012 5:31 pm
    Well things like this happen when the school district does not get pro active about bullying. Usually weapons get into schools by bully's or someone that is being bullied and see's nothing being done about it, so they think taking matters into their own hands is the only option they have. I am just glad no child was hurt. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out and what the facts are.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses