The Auburn Police Department has released the names of two drivers who were involved in two separate car crashes Friday night after running through a police sobriety checkpoint set up on Arterial West and Fulton Street. 

Joseph E. Nichols, 3 Mundt Ave., Auburn, and Michael J. DeMarco Jr., 172 Genesee St., Skaneateles, were both arrested on multiple charges following the crashes, which occurred less than an hour apart. 

First, at around 9:30 p.m., Nichols approached the checkpoint set up by police and drove over the median on the Arterial to avoid being stopped, police said. Police pursued the 24-year-old man, who disregarded numerous traffic laws, until he crashed into the side of Live It Fitness and Training gym, located at 321 Clark St., APD said. 

Police initially reported that Nichols did not have a driver's license and no one was harmed, including Nichols. 

Nichols was arrested Saturday and charged with third-degree fleeing a police officer, resisting arrest and fourth-degree criminal mischief, all misdemeanors. He was also issued around 30 tickets for traffic infractions, police said. 

He was arraigned Saturday morning, with bail set at $1,500 cash or $3,000 bond. Nichols's next court date is Oct. 4. 

About 30 minutes later, 39-year-old DeMarco approached the same sobriety checkpoint.

According to police, DeMarco initially stopped at the checkpoint. Following a brief conversation with an officer, DeMarco drove away, and officers followed him. Police attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but DeMarco refused to stop. Then DeMarco hit another car at the intersection of Grant Avenue and Seymour Street, police said.

DeMarco was taken to Upstate University Hospital for treatment of a head injury. The passengers of the other car, a 26-year-old woman and a 6-year-old child, were transported to Auburn Community Hospital. Police did not know the extent of their injuries.

DeMarco was released from the hospital Tuesday, police said, and charged with second-degree fleeing a police officer, a felony, and driving while intoxicated first offense and reckless driving, both misdemeanors. He was also charged with several traffic infractions. Police said additional charges are pending based on a blood sample taken from DeMarco at the hospital.

DeMarco was arraigned Tuesday afternoon was released on his own recognizance. He is due back in court on Oct. 18.