A Port Byron school district student could face criminal charges and possible disciplinary action after allegedly falsely reporting a bomb threat Monday.
The unnamed student told administrators there was a Facebook post claiming that a bomb threat "would be carried out sometime this week at Port Byron CSD," according to a message posted on the district's website.
Port Byron administrators contacted the state police, which launched an investigation. The district said it was during the investigation that the student admitted to falsely reporting an incident and there wasn't a threat circulating on social media.
The student who falsely reported the claim will face disciplinary action for violating the district's Code of Conduct.
Superintendent Neil O'Brien said the Port Byron campus is safe.
"Please know that the safety of our students and staff is a primary concern for the district and any threats of violence, even when deemed not credible, are taken very seriously," O'Brien said.
There has been a rash of incidents recently at Cayuga County-area schools. Buildings in the Cato-Meridian school district were on lockdown Thursday after more than 20 bullets were found in a high school student's locker. The Cayuga County Sheriff's Office said it was accidental.
On that same day in Skaneateles, the middle and high schools were on lockdown after a bullet was found in a bathroom.
Days before the lockdown at Cato-Meridian schools, there was a separate incident involving a 16-year-old student who was charged with making a terroristic threat.
Last month, a 12-year-old Port Byron middle school student was charged with making a terroristic threat.