SYRACUSE | Things were going pretty smoothly too.
The Durham Bulls broke open a 3-3 tie with a six-run seventh-inning rally, aided by a pair of Zach Walters throwing errors, as the Syracuse Chiefs lost, 13-3, on Saturday at NBT Bank Stadium.
Syracuse starter Ross Ohlendorf went 6 1/3 innings as he gave up a three-run homer in the top of the fourth. He struck out four and walked three, but walked Brandon Guyer with one out in the top of the seventh as things started to unravel for the Syracuse.
Xavier Cedeno came on and allowed a single before Walters tried to go to for a force out at third on a grounder by Tim Beckham. It hit the Guyer on the helmet and the Bulls jumped on the mistake as Guyer scored and five more came in after him.
“We have to learn how to slow the game down,” Syracuse manager Tony Beasley said. “We can’t allow things to speed up in those situations. That affects your decision making process. You have to keep pitching, keep making plays, you can’t throw in the towel.”
Walters did homer in the bottom of the fourth, while Chris Marrero and Mike Costanzo had back-to-back RBI doubles in the bottom of the third for Syracuse.
Audio Highlights: From @ChiefsRadio
Record: 9-14, Box Score
Nationals Headline of the Day: Nats finish up a 3-4 homestand
Next Game: April 29 vs. Durham, 7 p.m.
Line of the Day: Chris Marrero, 1B - 3-for-4, 2B, R, RBI
Marrero has been hitting the ball really well this season.
He is up to .352 for the year and has driven in 20 runs in 21 games this year.
Over his last 11 games he is hitting .425 with four homers, 12 RBI and three doubles.
“I feel great. Last year was a tough year, I didn’t have two legs,” Marrero said. “I feel strong, healthy, and I want to get back to where I should be. I want to keep working my way up.”
For more from Marrero, click to the right.
The Inning: Durham Top of the 7th
- Vince Belnome grounds out, second baseman Will Rhymes to first baseman Chris Marrero.
- Brandon Guyer walks.
- Pitching Change: Xavier Cedeno replaces Ross Ohlendorf.
- Cole Figueroa singles on a ground ball to right fielder Mike Costanzo. Brandon Guyer to 2nd.
- Tim Beckham reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Zach Walters. Brandon Guyer scores. Cole Figueroa to 3rd.
- Rich Thompson walks. Tim Beckham to 2nd.
- Pitching Change: Ryan Tatusko replaces Xavier Cedeno.
- Jason Bourgeois reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Zach Walters. Cole Figueroa scores. Tim Beckham to 3rd. Rich Thompson to 2nd.
- Wil Myers singles on a fly ball to right fielder Mike Costanzo. Tim Beckham scores. Rich Thompson scores. Jason Bourgeois to 3rd.
- Leslie Anderson doubles (4) on a fly ball to right fielder Mike Costanzo. Jason Bourgeois scores. Wil Myers to 3rd.
- Chris Gimenez walks.
- Vince Belnome singles on a ground ball to center fielder Eury Perez. Wil Myers scores. Leslie Anderson to 3rd. Chris Gimenez to 2nd.
- Brandon Guyer pops out to catcher Jeff Howell in foul territory.
- Cole Figueroa flies out to left fielder Jeff Kobernus.
Perez-watch: 0-for-5, 3 K
It was a pretty quiet day for Perez at the plate (obviously) and in the field.
Brown-watch: On Disabled List with oblique injury
He has been out since April 14 and is probably not going to be back for a few weeks.