CHARLOTTE | The Triple-A debut of Caleb Clay went pretty well.
Clay got the loss on Wednesday as the Syracuse Chiefs lost to the Charlotte Knights, 2-1, but he was strong in defeat.
Clay was perfect in his first four innings and gave up just one hit through five innings as he went 6.2 innings and yielded five hits total and two runs. Charlotte did not get a runner to second until the fifth. He walked one and struck out four.
Chris Rahl was 3-for-4 at the plate and drove in the only Syracuse run in the top of the fourth.
The Chiefs outhit the Knights, 10-5.
Day games are great... Once they are over— MikeCrotta (@Mike_Crotta) June 19, 2013
Audio Highlights: From @ChiefsRadio
Record: 28-42, Box Score
Nationals Headline of the Day: See below
Next Game: June 20 at Charlotte, 7:15 p.m.
Line of the Day: Danny Espinosa, 0-for-4 4K, BB
Espinosa is 2-for-21 with 14 strikeouts in Syracuse.
He is officially a Syracuse Chief now and here are the particulars:
The Inning: Charlotte Bottom of the 7th
- Mike McDade homers (6) on a fly ball to right field.
- Lars Anderson grounds out, second baseman Danny Espinosa to first baseman Mike Costanzo.
- Tyler Greene called out on strikes.
- Bryan Anderson doubles (6) on a line drive to right fielder Chris Rahl.
- Steve Tolleson singles on a soft fly ball to right fielder Chris Rahl. Bryan Anderson scores.
- Pitching Change: Xavier Cedeno replaces Caleb Clay.
- Jim Gallagher grounds out, pitcher Xavier Cedeno to first baseman Mike Costanzo.
Perez-watch: 0-for-5, K
Brown-watch (#FreeCoreyBrown): DNP
Haven’t heard of an injury or call-up, but the team is on the road.