The 2019 NFL schedule was released Wednesday and while we already knew who the Buffalo Bills would play this season, we now know the week-by-week matchups.
Here are five things to know about the 2019 Buffalo Bills schedule:
(1) Back-to-back games in New Jersey to open the season. The Bills will open the 2019 season on the road with back-to-back games at MetLife Stadium. The Bills' Week 1 opponent will be the New York Jets. In Week 2, the Bills will face the New York Giants. Kickoff for both games is 1 p.m. It's a scheduling quirk since the Bills will face NFC East teams this season. For the Bills, it's not a challenging road trip to open the 2019 campaign.
(2) No prime-time dates, but there is a Thanksgiving game. The Bills don't have any prime-time dates (yet), but will play the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving. The game is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. It's the Bills' first Thanksgiving since 1994. Buffalo lost 35-21 to the Detroit Lions. An interesting note about that game: It was played during the NFL's 75th anniversary season. The Bills' latest Thanksgiving appearance will come during the NFL's centennial celebration.
(3) Five home games in seven weeks. After starting the season on the road, the Bills will play five games at home in a seven-week span. The Bills' home opener is against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 3. That's followed by a home game against the New England Patriots. The Bills travel to Tennessee to play the Titans in Week 5, then have a Week 6 bye. Following the bye, the Bills play Miami, Philadelphia and Washington at home in weeks 7, 8 and 9. That's going to be an important stretch for the Bills. There are some favorable matchups in that mix.
(4) Bills close with five of final eight games on the road. The closing stretch for the Bills will feature five road games: Week 10 at Cleveland, Week 11 at Miami, the aforementioned Thanksgiving game against Dallas in Week 13, Week 15 at Pittsburgh and Week 16 at New England. That's going to be a major test for the Bills if they want to get back to the playoffs this season. Sprinkled in between the road games are games against Denver (Week 12), Baltimore (Week 14) and the season finale against the Jets at home in Week 17.
(5) That Week 16 game against the Patriots. For now, we don't know whether the game will be played on a Saturday or Sunday. The NFL usually has two games on Saturdays during the final weeks of the season. The Bills could play the Patriots at 4:30 p.m. or 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 21 or at 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 22. There's also the possibility the game will be moved to Sunday Night Football on NBC.
Here is the 2019 Buffalo Bills schedule (kickoff at 1 p.m. Sunday unless otherwise noted):
WEEK 1: at New York Jets
WEEK 2: at New York Giants
WEEK 3: vs. Cincinnati Bengals
WEEK 4: vs. New England Patriots
WEEK 5: at Tennessee Titans
WEEK 6: BYE
WEEK 7: vs. Miami Dolphins
WEEK 8: vs. Philadelphia Eagles
WEEK 9: vs. Washington
WEEK 10: at Cleveland Browns
WEEK 11: at Miami Dolphins
WEEK 12: vs. Denver Broncos
WEEK 13: at Dallas Cowboys (4:30 p.m. Thanksgiving)
WEEK 14: vs. Baltimore Ravens
WEEK 15: at Pittsburgh Steelers
WEEK 16: at New England Patriots (Dec. 21 or 22, TBA)
WEEK 17: vs. New York Jets