It’s easy to get wrapped up in the bustle of the season with the nonstop planning of family dinners, travel, shopping and the million odds and ends that pop up last-minute. I always seem to find myself in the middle of five different crafting projects, with dozens of cookies that need to be baked, decorations to put up and cleaning that needs to be done. During all the craziness, it is important to remember to take some time for yourself. Seymour Library is the perfect place to visit and de-stress with an afternoon of crafting, exploring new places, yoga and more!
Unwind with some fun crafts during Seymour Library’s Crafternoon! Create beautiful winter-themed cards, featuring a shimmering snowman or a glistening snow globe shaker at noon Wednesday, Nov. 28. Then, at noon Tuesday, Dec. 4, create a beautiful piece of word art on canvas. Take your art home for display or give it to someone you love! Both projects are perfect for beginner and advanced crafters. All supplies will be provided.
Sometimes it is nice to get away. Explore places around the world without ever leaving your chair with Google Expeditions. Join us for a demonstration of the library’s new Google Expeditions kit and discover the world of virtual reality at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10. Stay tuned for the library’s upcoming travelogue series in the new year!
Recenter during one of the library’s chair yoga classes. Instructors Deborah Daly and Wendy Vitale will lead chair yoga classes from 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, Nov. 29, Dec. 6 and Dec. 20. No mats are required. Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended.
Maybe cooking is your stress relief. Did you know that the library offers a collection of cake pans? No need to buy that special bundt pan, jumbo cupcake tin or castle cake pan for your next family function or children's birthday party — the library has you covered!
For those of us who might be a little cooking-challenged, try out one of the free classes offered through the online service Universal Class. Cooking and Baking 101, All About Herbs, Italian Cooking 101, Pie Baking 101, and more are all available free with your Seymour Library card!
Read and relax with these zen titles:
• "How to Relax" by Thich Nhất Hạnh
• "Yoga for Healthy Aging: A Guide to Lifelong Well-being" by Baxter BellBell
• "Meditation for Dummies" by Stephan Bodian
• "Zentangle Untangled: Inspiration and Prompts for Meditative Drawing" by Kass Hall
• "This Moment is Your Life (And So is This One): A Fun and Easy Guide to Mindfulness, Meditation, and Yoga" by Mariam Gates (teen)
• "The Yoga Mind: 52 Essential Principles of Yoga Philosophy to Deepen Your Practice" by Rina Jakubowicz
• "Project You: More Than 50 Ways to Calm Down, De-stress, and Feel Great" by Aubre Andrus (Teen)
• "Crafting Calm: Projects and Practices for Creativity and Contemplation" by Maggie Oman-Shannon
• "Drawing Calm: Relax, Refresh, Refocus with 20 Drawing, Painting, and Collage Workshops Inspired by Klimt, Klee, Monet, and More" by Susan Evenson
• "Meditation Now: A Beginner's Guide: 10-minute Meditations to Restore Calm and Joy, Anytime, Anywhere" by Elizabeth Reninger
For more information about upcoming programs, visit the library’s website at seymourlibrary.org.