Summer is in full swing, with something for everyone at the library. We can help you find a beach or shade tree read, either in print or digital format. Check out a book on CD or an e-audiobook on your device and make the car trip go by a little faster. If the hot weather has gotten the best of you, check out a DVD or Blu-ray and chill out. Our summer programs have kicked off, save these dates:
• Senior Cinema at 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 25, will feature the movie “Hurricane Heist.” From the director of “The Fast and the Furious” comes this action thriller about a treasury agent and a storm chaser out to stop a high-stakes heist during a Category 5 hurricane. Invite a friend! Senior Cinema is offered once a month on Wednesday afternoons just for the older set. Bring a friend and enjoy the movie in the comfort of our air-conditioned programming room.
• The Summer Reading program for children, Libraries Rock, is underway, but it’s not too late to join in! Readers can pick up a reading folder, stickers and a flyer with all the summer program dates. The reading folders can be returned to the library by the end of August for a special prize!
• Story Hour is held from 10:15 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays. This program includes stories and crafts for preschoolers through second grade. Toddler Rhyme Time is held from 10:30 to 11 a.m. Wednesdays. This program is for babies to 3 years old and will include stories, songs and finger plays.
There are several special programs for kids coming up!
• Join Mickey Brown for a fun summer reading program craft project at 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 18. Please register by calling the library at (315) 834-6222.
• Australian group Didgeridoo Down Under will perform at 1 p.m. Wednesday, July 25, at Trolley Park. The program has music, education, character-building and entertainment all rolled into one. If you’d like to catch a glimpse of the group you can visit its website, didgrevolution.com. The library is the rain location. This program is sponsored by the KeyBank Foundation and Friends of the Weedsport Free Library.
• The Merry-Go-Round Youth Theatre returns this year with “The Bremen Town Musicians” at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 2. Bring a chair or a blanket to Trolley Park! Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
• Kids of all ages won’t want to miss a visit from Dezzy, a mini-horse, from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 8! There is a first time for everything; Dezzy is our first horse at the library!
• Weedsport's Gazebo Gatherings have begun! Head to the gazebo by DB’s Drive In at 7 p.m. Tuesdays through Aug. 14. Performing on Tuesday, July 17, will be the talented Dan Duggan on hammered dulcimer and Henry Jankiewicz on fiddle, giving you a traditional music treat! Get your folding chair ready and clear your Tuesday nights! Thank you to our sponsors, KeyBank Foundation, the village of Weedsport, the town of Brutus and the Friends of the Library. Thank you to DB’s Drive In for sharing your gazebo on Tuesday nights. The library is the rain location for the gazebo shows. Looking ahead, Loren Barrigar and Joe Whiting perform on July 24, Lock 52 Jazz Band on July 31, Donna Colton & Sam Troublemaker on Aug. 7 and the Carol Bryant Trio on Aug. 14.
Whether you are passing through or live around the corner, we look forward to serving up your summertime library needs. We serve everything but ice cream!