Try 1 month for 99¢
Man on roof of 51 Orchard St.

Bradley Strange evaded arrest for nearly nine hours on the roof of 51 Orchard St. following an armed robbery that occurred on March 11.

AUBURN — On a cold day in March, Bradley Strange forever changed the life of another man.

The morning of March 11, Strange approached a man, 75 years old at the time of the incident, at his residence outside Auburn and asked for a ride due to the cold weather. Once in the city, Strange displayed a knife and demanded the victim's wallet and money, and cut the man on the hand.

Following the incident, the victim was treated at Auburn Community Hospital and Strange, 34, of 112 Janet St., evaded arrest by standing on the roof of 51 Orchard St. for about nine hours

In Cayuga County Court Thursday morning, the victim spoke at the beginning of Strange's sentencing. 

"The robbery changed my life. I'll never be the same because of the threat of losing my life," the man said. "The fingers where he cut me will never be the same," he added.

The victim also said he has had many bad dreams since the incident.

Cayuga County District Attorney Jon Budelmann said that the victim offered Strange a ride from the "goodness of his heart" and then was led to an isolated area where Strange pulled a knife and demanded his wallet. He said the victim sustained wounds to his right hand, which caused nerve damage, when he tried to fend off Strange's knife.

"This has affected him, that's the danger of such crime," Budelmann said, "(it) changed his life forever."

Budelmann also noted that Strange committed the crime while he was on parole from a 2014 third-degree attempted robbery conviction in Onondaga County.

"You don't often see remorse ... but Mr. Strange has expressed remorse for his actions for the entire situation," Joseph Sapio, the attorney representing Strange on Thursday, said.

Sapio said that Strange "feels quite badly" for what the victim is going through, adding that Strange also has mental health and substance abuse issues.

"Your honor, I would first like to apologize to (the victim) ... he was a good man just trying to do the right thing," Strange said. "I would like to apologize to my children and my family ... the truth is I've made really bad decisions in my life."

When Judge Thomas Leone gave Strange permission to apologize to the victim, Strange stood up from where he was seated, turned around to face the victim sitting in one of the back pews in the courtroom, and told him: "from the bottom of my heart, I truly am sorry."

"I do feel you were truly remorseful," Leone said, and although Strange was hoping for a lesser sentence, Leone said he wouldn't deter from the agreed-upon sentence reached in July.

As Leone carried on with the sentencing, a woman seated in the front pew began crying.

Strange was sentenced to 10 years in prison for first-degree attempted robbery with the use of a dangerous instrument, a class C felony, and one year in jail for the misdemeanor of resisting arrest, which will run concurrent to the prison sentence. Following his time in prison, Strange will have five years of post-release supervision.

An order of protection was also granted to the victim, and Strange was ordered to pay $400 in restitution.

Also in Court

• An Auburn woman admitted to a crime involving hurling a chair into a car.

Nushaw Nwanko, 33, an Auburn transient, went to the area of 73 Owasco St. on July 4 to collect money that someone owed her. When she got there, the person threw a chair at Nwanko, nearly striking her. In response, she took the chair and hurled it at what she thought was the victim's car, only to find it was the wrong car.

Nwanko pleaded guilty to one count of third-degree criminal mischief, a class E felony. She will likely receive 1.5 to 3 years in prison and is scheduled to reappear in court for sentencing Nov. 15.

• An Auburn man was sentenced for breaking into a home with a knife.

Leslie McLeod, 44, of 9 John St., Apt. 1, broke into a home on Clark Street Road in Aurelius on April 28 and threatened the resident with a knife, a crime he pleaded guilty to in July.

"I hope you go with the agreed-upon sentence," McLeod said. "I'm just baffled by the fact that they don't take into consideration my mental health."

McLeod was sentenced to six years in prison and five years of post-release supervision. An order of protection was also issued on behalf of the victim of the burglary. 

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Staff writer Megan Ehrhart can be reached at (315) 282-2244 or Follow her on Twitter @MeganEhrhart.


Towns Reporter