The Auburn Enlarged City School District on Monday sent an automated phone message to all district parents in an attempt to quash rumors of threats and violence at the high school.
Superintendent Jeff Pirozzolo said administrators are being flooded with phone calls from concerned parents after false rumors were posted on social media. In particular, a rumor about a bomb threat and a rumor about a shooting at the high school are causing concern.
Pirozzolo said the district sent out the robocall to make clear that the social media posts are "completely untrue." In addition, the high school principal made an announcement to let everyone inside the building know about the situation.
"Children are in school in all of our buildings and are all safe," Pirozzolo said.
The district is working with the Auburn Police Department to investigate who is responsible for the false information being spread.
The APD posted the following message on Twitter: "It has come to the attention of the Auburn Police Department, specifically our School Resource Officers, that rumors have been circulating social media concerning a 'school shooting' at the High School today. This information is FALSE."
The alert sent out today followed an incident last week in which authorities investigated the discovery of some threatening language written on a bathroom stall in the high school. Officials determined that threat to be unfounded and said no one was in any danger.