{{featured_button_text}}

No blue-green algae toxins were detected in the treated drinking water for the city of Auburn and the town of Owasco in samples collected Wednesday. This is the third day in a row that Auburn has not had detectable levels, and the second day in a row for Owasco.

The health department said it will continue to collect samples daily until toxin levels are consistently not detectable in the treated water. Staff collected samples from both public water systems on Thursday and results will be back Friday afternoon.

Register for more free articles
Stay logged in to skip the surveys

Microcystin, toxins that can be released from harmful algal blooms, can cause liver failure and kidney damage if consumed at higher levels for a short period of time. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's health advisory level for children under the age of 6 is 0.3 micrograms per liter.

The EPA said short-term exposure to the toxins at advisory levels can cause liver failure and kidney damage. Since the levels that have been detected are low, the health department said it is not a public health concern.

For more information on blue green algae visit cayugacounty.us/health or call (315) 253-1560.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0