Low levels of toxins have been detected in the raw water entering the city of Auburn’s treatment plant, but no toxins were found in the samples taken of the treated drinking water.
The Cayuga County Health Department on Friday said that results from samples collected from Auburn's raw water on Thursday were received Friday evening and reveal low levels of toxins associated with harmful algal blooms in the raw (untreated) water entering Auburn’s treatment plant from Owasco Lake.
The treatment system successfully removed the toxins and no toxins were detected in the samples taken of the treated drinking water, the health department said.
According to a news release, low levels of toxins are being referred to as such a small amount of toxins that the laboratory could detect them, but could not give a numeric value.
Auburn provides drinking water to residents in Auburn, the towns of Aurelius, Fleming Water District 6, Throop, Mentz, Brutus, Montezuma, Sennett, and Springport Water District 2, and the villages of Port Byron, Weedsport and Cayuga.
The town of Owasco, also uses Owasco Lake water for drinking water purposes. Results from samples collected on Thursday of both the raw (untreated) water and the treated drinking water were received Friday, and no toxins were detected in either sample.
Auburn and Owasco utilize two separate intake pipes located in two different spots of Owasco Lake. The health department said it has been sampling and monitoring the drinking water for Auburn since early August and will continue to do so.'
Questions may be directed to the Health Department at (315) 253-1560.