{{featured_button_text}}

SENNETT — An unattended outdoor fire in Sennett burned a shed to the ground Friday afternoon. 

The Sennett Fire Department was called to a fire at a 426 Grant Avenue Road home around noon, Sennett Chief Sean Holmes said at the scene. Other responding fire departments included Weedsport, Aurelius, Throop and Auburn. State Police, the Cayuga County Sheriff's Office and an AMR ambulance were also on scene as of about 12:15 p.m.

It appeared someone started an outdoor fire behind the home and that the wind blew the fire into a metal shed, Holmes said. He said it was hard to tell exactly what was burning, but it didn't appear to be wood.

The fire was under control within about 20 minutes, Holmes said, and was caught in enough time that it didn't spread to the house.

He said the fire was unattended and the 1.5 story home, built in 1900, was abandoned. It will be up to law enforcement to decide if, and how, to follow up on the incident, he added.

Auburn Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Grady was also on the scene and noted that things burn easily this time of year.

Because of the high risk of wildfires during early spring, New York state has had a brush burning ban in effect since March 16 that expires May 14. The state Department of Environmental Conservation reported that open burning of debris is the leading cause of spring wildfires in New York.

A violation of the brush burning ban could result in civil and criminal charges. A first-time offender could face a fine of at least $500.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Staff writer Megan Ehrhart can be reached at (315) 282-2244 or megan.ehrhart@lee.net. Follow her on Twitter @MeganEhrhart.

1
0
1
2
0