Confused by winter travel advisories and warnings issued by our sheriff's office? Below are the three most common ones we issue and what they mean to winter travel. Traffic safety is our primary goal.
1) Travel Advisory
• Motorists are encouraged to use caution.
2) No Unnecessary Travel
• Hazardous conditions exist, but the decision to drive is left to the discretion of the traveler.
3) Roads Closed Except for Emergency Travel
You have free articles remaining.
• Travel is restricted to emergency vehicles and those performing an emergency act.
• All other travel, including traveling to and from work, is prohibited and strict enforcement will be in effect.
If roads are wet or snow is present, drive with extra regard for your speed and those around you, especially on curves, hills and the bridges, which usually freeze well before the rest of the roadway. Be sure to give yourself plenty of stopping distance especially on icy roads.
Brian Schenck is the Cayuga County sheriff.